Saturday, March 6, 2010

TAKS Simulations, Movies, and DRAMA!

It's been on of those crazy weeks at work. In anticipation of TAKS in a few weeks, my school had another TAKS Simulation. Let me just tell you, the kids they just LOVE testing all week over and over again especially when it doesn't even REALLY count for them. Sense the sarcasm? Probably because I feel their pain. While they are being forced to test, I'm being forced to meander around a room aimlessly making sure they do not cheat, aren't drawing pretty pictures, and aren't falling asleep. I can not sit, drink water, or even lean. If I stop moving and I'm caught, I'm toast. I get why they have us do this but when I was in school I don't recall teachers wandering around me during tests. It has to be a bit distracting! Oh well, ce la vie. I promise there is a point to this post.

Anywho, We've made it through SS, Science, and Reading. Monday is Math, and then four days later is SPRING BREAK!!! I haven't had one of those in years! SOO excited! Nathan will be coming down for the staycation, as it were, and we'll be seeing lots of movies, going to to the zoo, possibly Disney on Ice, and maybe Six Flags. Whatever we feel like doing to be honest. I can not wait for a little break. Honestly, I can't even believe it's already time for Spring Break. Feels like just yesterday I was packing my whole life up and moving to San Antonio. Now I'm practically a veteran. I can't wait for what looks like one of the best Summer's yet to get here.

Oh, I have to mention the tire incident on Tuesday. So, as I'm about to get to work I hear my car making this awful noise. You know, like your embarrassed of your car it's making such an awful noise. Well, I pull in, get out and see that tire is practically riding on the rim. Seeing as it's a testing day I can't exactly not go in, so I go in start the test and then they let me leave to try to save my tire. Stupidly, I think I'll try to take it to Discount Tire because it'll be free. Well, Discount Tire is only 4 miles away so I drive to the nearest gas station and attempt to put air in. It's there that I realize that's a hopeless effort and turn around. I pull in to the closest tire place there is (luckily the neighborhood my school is in is FULL of them) and then I see what my tire looks like now. That's when I took the picture. Literally, I drove all of 2 miles. I'm counting my blessings it didn't blow out on the highway and I didn't get stranded somewhere or have a wreck. That same day I was a witness to an assault on a teacher as well. Teacher is fine, kid is in juvie, and that's really all I can comment on.

If you talk to Nathan and I much at all you know we LOVE going to movies. It's our thing. Some films we've seen lately: The Crazies and Brooklyn's Finest. First, The Crazies. Originally I wasn't interested in this movie but rottentomatoes.com made it sound scary and actually interesting so I caved. It wasn't bad exactly, but it isn't an instant classic either. I did scream a few times and jump. Though if you know how much of a wuss I am that isn't much of a feat. The plot was eh, it sets up for a bit of a sequel, and no one I liked died. All in all, I'd rent it, don't waste you're money at the box office.

Second, Brooklyn's Finest. Well, Ethan Hawke has seen better days, Don Cheadle is always a pleasure, and Richard Gere is downright depressing and twisted. All the cops are either dirty, messed up, or on the verge of suicide. Richard Gere does redeem himself briefly at the very end but that's the only high point of the entire story. Unless you need to feel worse about society and want to hurt yourself please avoid this movie. There's enough of this in the real world and no need to create more in the fictional one. SKIP IT.

Tonight, we're planning to see Alice in Wonderland in 3D at the IMAX. I'll be sure to share my thoughts soon.

2 comments:

TexasBobbi said...

I really want to see The Crazies and Alice. Sorry to hear about your tire that is scary. I hare TAKS and everything that goes with it like teachign to pass the test and not really teaching.

Rickie Michele Meredith said...

Yeah, that's the gist of it. Luckily, they are doing away with TAKS soon but another test will take it's place. They put so much pressure on passing this test though that a lot of other things fall through the cracks. The tire could have been a lot worse so I'm grateful. How are you doing? I can't even begin to imagine.

Search This Blog